Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

I just don't have it in me to blog about how thankful I should be this Thanksgiving.

While that sentiment has merit, the world seems to be more screwed up than at any time I can remember with too many of the supposed good guys in the fight between Good and Evil doing a pretty good imitation of flirting with the Dark Side.

When I was looking for an image to post with this musing, I found several lovely ones with Pilgrim-Indian themes, but realized how hypocritical it would be to use any of them. The Pilgrims fled to the New World to escape religious prosecution, made nice for about five minutes and then began the slaughter of Native Americans that continues today in more subtle ways.

I settled on the image above because I've always enjoyed studying the expressions on the faces as the grandmother, who looks not unlike my Nana, sets the turkey on the dinner table. (The artist himself is in the lower left-hand corner.)

Far be it from me to tell American visitors to Kiko's House how they should celebrate their national holiday. Feel no guilt when you join millions of other people to shop at the mall or watch hours and hours of football.

Just do me a favor: If someone tells you how proud they are to be an American this Thanksgiving, don't bother to get tangled up in some long winded discussion about what The Decider has wrought. Just ask to have the cranberry sauce passed to you and throw it at them.

-- Love and Peace, SHAUN

ABOUT THE PAINTING
"Freedom From Want" was one of the "Four Freedoms" paintings by Norman Rockwell. This oil on canvas was on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post on March 6, 1943, not on or near Thanksgiving Day as is commonly assumed. Rockwell's other "Four Freedoms" paintings can be seen here. Rockwell, a painter and illustrator, is best known for his Post covers. He did 321 in all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually it feels a lot better than last Thanksgiving. It took the American people a while--but they're finally on to the decider--which makes me hopeful. Oh yes--and OJ received short shrift. . Perhaps the public's learning curve is improving--and so will the fortunes of our country.

Shaun Mullen said...

In light of your comment, which was spot on, I feel a bit abashed for being such a grouch.

Thank you!

Frank Partisan said...

Thanksgiving is one holiday, that doesn't require a particular religion or nationality.



Regards.

Anonymous said...

Ba Humbug! Wait- wrong grouch!

Yes, the world has gone mad. But leave the world at your door tomorrow and make your day about the things that matter to you.

I decided last year that holidays are what WE make them, WE define and decide.

I think regardless there are things to be thankful for, and I focus on that and reject the idea that some authority can tell me whats what. Feh!

Happy Thanksgiving. After the holiday, I will send along that cat... I am off now to buy some booze.

Shaun Mullen said...

Gee, Lily, you're right and I'm beginning to feel a little guilty about my throw the cranberry sauce venting.

For what it's worth, a big part of my holiday will be calling family and folks around the country to wish them a Happy T-Day. May you and yours have a good one.